Tuesday 7 June 2011

Ben Nicholson




Nicholson was born to a very artistic family. His mother and father were both painters and he had three siblings, one of which was an artist and one was an architect. He was born in 1894 and died in 1982 and in his life time, he married three times.


I like this piece of his work because of how simple it is. It has calm colours and a soft quality to the lines and shapes, altogether giving an air of tranquility about the picture. With this being an image of the countryside, I would imagine that this is the desired reaction to a picture such as this.

I also tried to give my collage today an emotion to portray... I had chosen an image to look at which had a calm blue and smooth lines, so i used these characteristics and created and image of Alison. Because she was naked, I thought blue would work well to put across the message of being cold. Because you couldn't see her face, it was difficult to put forward an emotion; but by letting the ink drip, I thought it captured a certain sadness about the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment